KP and the Alliance of Health Care Unions reach a tentative agreement
The following announcement from Christian Meisner, national Chief Human Resources Officer was shared with Northern California employees. At this time, Nov. 13, there is no change in Pharmacy Guild strike plans for next week in the Northern California region, and our contingency plans remain in effect. We are continuing to bargain in good faith with Local 39 Operating Engineers and the Guild for Professional Pharmacists, and hope to reach agreements very soon.
An Important Message from Christian Meisner, Chief Human Resources Officer, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals
We’re pleased to announce that on Saturday, November 13, 2021, Kaiser Permanente and the Alliance of Health Care Unions reached a tentative 4-year national agreement covering nearly 50,000 Kaiser Permanente health care employees in 22 local unions.
This landmark agreement positions Kaiser Permanente for a successful future focused on providing high-quality health care that is affordable and accessible for our members. It also maintains industry-leading wage and benefit packages for our Alliance-represented employees. The details of the agreement include:
- Wage increases: Guaranteed across-the-board wage increases each year through 2025 in every region for all Alliance-represented employees
- Health benefits: No reductions or takeaways to already low-cost family medical and dental coverage with the same low copays for prescriptions and office visits
- Retirement benefits: Maintains generous retirement income benefits and employer-subsidized retiree medical
- Bonus opportunities: Introduction of the Alliance Bonus Plan, which provides annual payouts for achieving mutually agreed to objectives to address affordability
- New safe staffing and workload language: Will ensure every Kaiser Permanente patient receives extraordinary care every time and in every place
- Opportunities for career growth: Continued excellent career development and advancement opportunities
The Alliance and Kaiser Permanente have agreed to form a national Affordability and Competitiveness Task Force with specific targets to address issues of affordability, cost structure, and competitiveness in each of our markets.
Kaiser Permanente and the Alliance are part of the longest-running, most successful, and most innovative labor-management partnership in the nation. This agreement is a testament to our long history with our partnership unions and is an example of how effective our partnership is when we work together. We are confident we will continue to move forward stronger — together — to further our mission and keep Kaiser Permanente a great place to work and receive care.
Employees represented by Alliance unions will vote on the tentative agreement over the next several weeks. If ratified, the agreement will have an effective date of October 1, 2021.
In light of this, the Alliance unions have canceled their strike notifications.
We are so grateful for the continued dedication of our employees, and we are confident this agreement will allow us to build the future of health care together.